RUSI EUROPE BACKGROUND
The Royal United Services Institute for Defence and Security Studies (RUSI) is the UKâs leading independent think-tank on international defence and security. Its mission is to be an analytical research-led global forum for informing, influencing and enhancing public debate on a safer and more stable world.
Founded in 1831 by the Duke of Wellington, RUSI has its prestigious headquarters in Whitehall. It is a registered charity which now employs over 90 staff in London, who work in the areas of research, events, publications and member services. There are also offices in Nairobi and Brussels.
RUSI Europe was established as a Belgian AISBL (Association Internationale sans Lucratif), primarily to continue RUSI's work with European Institutions and it now has an exciting programme of work in its own right. RUSI Europe has grown to a sufficient size where we wish to appoint a full-time dedicated accountant in Brussels. This is a new post and presents an opportunity for the right candidate to shape and develop the role.
RUSI EUROPE PROJECTS
RUSI Europe currently has 5 multi-year research projects awarded by the European Commission (Directorate-General for Development and Cooperation - Europe Aid), and its portfolio of projects and activities continues to grow. The financial management of the projects, and the EC financial reporting, has historically taken place from RUSI's London office, but, with the appointment of an accountant in Brussels, this will now move to Belgium.
OVERVIEW OF THE POSITION
The purpose of this role is to undertake all financial and management accounting for RUSI Europe, including the financial reporting to the EC, and to act as central point of contact between the Finance team of RUSI in London, and RUSI Europe. The accountant will report to the Director of RUSI Europe.
DUTIES AND REPSONSIBILITIES
The specific duties and responsibilities of the position are as follows:
1. To manage all aspects of the day-to-day accounting, and to prepare payroll for the payroll agency, of RUSI Europe, ensuring that transactions are recorded accurately and in a timely manner within the accounting system, payments are processed promptly and the local bank account is reconciled and managed efficiently
2. To produce monthly management accounts in accordance with internal requirements.
3. To produce annual financial accounts in accordance with Belgium reporting requirements and to manage the audit, sign off and publication of the accounts to required deadlines.
4. To ensure sound internal controls are implemented and maintained.
5. To undertake tax returns (e.g. VAT) as required, ensuring they are filed accurately and on time.
6. To keep accounting records for each of the projects in accordance with the EU Terms of Reference, ensuring that all supporting documents meet requirements including the review of monthly time sheets and corresponding invoices from experts working on the projects.
7. To prepare financial reports for the EU as required (usually one every 6 months for each project), in the prescribed format and in accordance with the EU Terms of Reference for each project, ensure that sales invoices are raised in a timely manner and that payment is secured promptly.
8. To work with the other members of the Finance team in London as required.
9. To manage the relationship with the appointed auditors in the expenditure verification exercise for each EU financial report.
10. To produce budgets and cash flow forecasts for the allocated projects, as required.
11. To prepare subcontracts for experts working on the projects
12. To support project staff in the partnering countries, as required.
13. To liaise with project staff at the EC as and when required, to ensure the smooth running of the projects.
14. To work with non-finance staff (e.g. research staff) as and when required to ensure the smooth running of the projects
15. To carry out any other related duties as requested by the line Manager, Director of RUSI Europe.
- A fully qualified accountant with a minimum of 2 yearsâ relevant professional experience in an accounting role, including a good working knowledge of local requirements in Belgium.
- Experience in preparing budgets and forecasts
- Good computer literacy and excel spreadsheet skills
- Exceptional attention to detail and organisational skills
- Good communication skills and ability to work with people from different national backgrounds
- Good time management with the ability to work independently and also meet deadlines
- SUN Accounting experience (this is desirable)
- Experience of EuropeAid, in terms of understanding the eligibility criteria, rules and regulations (this is desirable but not required, as training will be offered)
This person will be based at RUSI Europeâs offices in central Brussels.
HOURS AND REMUNERATION
This role is full time.
Start date: the beginning of April
Application deadline: the 12th of March. Interviews will take place in the following week.
Salary will be calculated depending on experience.
Localisation de l'offre d'emploi: Bruxelles
Contrat Offert: CDI
Expérience requise: 2 - 5 ans exp.
Diplôme requis: Bachelier
Rusi Europe | | OfficeRusiEurope@rusi.org |